Norris Hood came to southwest Missouri in 1852 and settled on a farm 3 miles west of Sarcoxie on Center Creek. He moved to Carthage in the late 1850’s when he was appointed Sheriff. His second term as Sheriff was interrupted by the onset of the Civil war when Missouri was put under Military rule. He built a house on the West side of the Square across from the Courthouse until the home was burned along with all but 3 buildings in 1861.
Mr. Hood was born in 1811 in South Carolina and moved when quite small to Tennessee with his parents Thomas and Martha Hood. He married Malinda Bond in Tennessee in 1833.
The battle of Carthage was fought on July 5, 1861 and on the day before, Franz Siegel had marched into town with his contingent of German soldiers and was greeted by Lucy Hood, one of Norris’ daughters who had, along with her sisters made a petticoat out of a U.S. flag and proceeded to take it off while standing on a stile on the west side of the Courthouse, and waved the flag to the delight of the soldiers.
As the town was being disbanded Norris Hood found that the Jasper County Circuit Clerk had taken the court records to Neosho. Norris did not feel the records were safe, even though they were stored in the vault in the courthouse there, and with his wagon and an escort of U.S. soldiers, he got them and took them to Ft. Scott, Kansas.
Malinda Hood died in 1862 and Norris moved his family to Ft. Scott to wait out the war. When the war ended Hood and the court records returned to Jasper Co., where he was appointed county treasurer in 1867. He also married Winney F. Whitaker in May of 1867.
He was also appointed a town trustee in 1869. Despite his southern birth and upbringing, he strongly believed in the Union cause and was one of the leaders of the Liberal Republicans.
He was a Baptist and instrumental in forming a Baptist Church here, and opened his home to visiting preachers always. He was also a member of the Masons.
Norris Hood died in 1870 of a kidney ailment and was buried in Dudman Cemetery, Sarcoxie.